Friday, March 28, 2008

 

Matthew's & Sue's Excellent Ski Vacation Day 2


We actually made it out of bed, ate breakfast and were on our way north by 8AM! Day 2 was spent at 49 Degrees North, in Chewelah, Washington. Slightly cloudy, with sunshine peaking through in the mid-twenties. Perfect!

No avalanche warnings here. They've "only" had 276" of snow this season! From the top of the mountain you can see Idaho and British Columbia.





There's this great trail that sweeps around the side of the mountain and passes a tree troll with a bell. If you hit the bell with your ski pole while skiing by, legend has it that you will return to the mountain. I have a picture of Brian swinging his pole up in the air to hit the bell from 4 years ago (before I went digital.) On this trip, with all the snow, the bell is waist level.








Dinner, in celebration of Mother's belated 80th birthday was at Luna's in Spokane. I had Grilled Wild Alaskan Salmon with Braised Palouse lentils, mustard greens, little beet salad, and fresh horseradish vinaigrette. It was delightful to both eye and palate. Matthew's dinner of Rack of Lamb filled him up, fortunately.




I knitted Mother an alpaca shawl for her birthday. (Rick called it "Shirley's Shawl".) I bought the yarn from the woman who raised the alpaca, and it is naturally colored. I have one just like it knitted in a cream colored alpaca, only mine has a bunch of mistakes in it, as it was the first one I knit. It's really soft and very warm, in spite of the laciness of the pattern.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:
How cool! I love seeing these pictures of your mom. I haven't seen her in ... gosh ... decades! (Am I really old enough to make such a comment?)
 
I'm afraid you are old enough to make such a comment, and so am I!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?