Monday, July 16, 2007

 

Katie & Sue's Excellent Adventure: Epilogue



Our last evening at camp, we traveled over a pass into the Green Mountain National Forest to the Robert Frost Interpretive Trail. The trail features poetry, views, and berry picking. Along the trail, Frost’s poetry is displayed at strategic locations, i.e. “The Road Not Taken” is posted where the trail splits into 3 forks. We picked huckleberries, enjoyed the views, and read all of the poems.





The collected experience of the poems, combined with the surroundings where Frost walked and lived, became overwhelming to me when I read the last poem on the trail "Reluctance". I realized that my readings of the lovely poems were more than just about nature and seasons. This was the poem where I realized I had been reading about life and death and the season that I was currently experiencing in my life. It seems trivial to write, but the moment stunned me. Observing my reaction, Katie was asking "what? what?" not understanding anymore than I did when I first read Frost's poems as an adolescent. "You're spring and I'm nearing the end of autumn" was all I was able to choke out.



We broke camp in the morning, then attended the last of the classes. Katie and CeCe did a fine job of playing their 4 hand duets in the afternoon concert. Then it was hugs all around, and time to hit the road.

Katie and I had a wonderful time in Vermont, filled with growth both musically and within our own spirits. Katie has gained confidence as a composer and will be adding that as new musical dimension to her life. Thanks for reading our blog, and joining us on our adventure!


PS. I spoke with cousin Ava, who is a naturalist for the National Forest in Pennsylvania. She says that Goshawk watched us from the sky during our entire hike, knew who we were, and where we camped. The goshawk in our camp was no coincidence, but a warning! Yikes!

Mozart, Bach, Dello Joio, Hawks, Slugs, Drumming, and New Friends. That sums up our trip!

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
OK, well... "Reluctance" brought tears to my eyes, too. It has been so fun reading about your Excellent Adventure. When you're home and rested, give me a call... Maybe not till August, though... family in town, graduation party to throw, blah blah blah...
 
What a refreshing break this must have been! It was fun to follow you around in a virtual way.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?