Tuesday, June 12, 2007

 

Timely Test Warning

Being the oldest sister has certain priviledges: the first to drive, the first to vote, the first to graduate (well, high school anyway, since I am currently the last to graduate) and the first to turn 50. When you turn 50, you are suddenly inundated with AARP offers, and called ma'am by 30 year olds. You also reach a new chapter in your health care, and your doctor tells you all the wonderful tests you now have to take. In short, even though you don't feel any different than you did 20 years ago, you are no longer middle aged.

Yesterday, I had my first you've-got-to-have-this-since-you're-fifty test: a colonoscopy. (Got my first base line mammogram when I was 40. I trust you all have done the same.) After spending Sunday taking care of the at home preparation (the most unpleasant part of this whole test) Rick and I arrived at the hospital, to a bee hive of activity of activity, at 8AM. We were ushered to a private cubby room where I proceded to knit a summer top (with this wonderful silk/wool yarn) until the demerol started interfering with my stitches. Several times through this process I was asked why I was having this test and what problems I was having. I always answered "No problems, I'm having the test because I'm 50." They wheeled me into an surgical room, asked me again why I was having the test, and the next thing I knew I was back in the cubby, procedure over. The nurse got me up, walked me around, I got dressed, and Rick took me out to lunch. I spent the rest of the day knitting and drowsing in the back yard.

Here's the moral of the story: we have no history of colon cancer in our family that I know of. I am physically active, I don't smoke, and I am not obese (sure, I good stand to lose a few...) all of which are the common factors of colon cancer. But I did have a polyp and the doctor removed it. He said it was benign, but colon cancer grows from benign polyps. I took both yesterday and today off from school, as I had no idea how I would feel after the test. I feel great! Especially since that polyp, that I didn't even know I had growing in me, is history. So sisters, when you hit 50, get this test done.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?