Friday, June 22, 2007

 

Happy Birthday, Matthew!


Here's a picture of the Birthday Boy on his 16th birthday. No, he did not find a car waiting for him in the driveway when he woke up. And no, I didn't rush out to get him a learner's permit as, thankfully, he seems in no hurry to be driving. (On the contrary, on his 8th birthday, when he came downstairs in the morning, he stretched and said "Ahhh, half way to driving.")

Matthew likes to cook so much that he wanted to make his birthday dinner himself. He marinated sirloin, peppers, and vidalia onions, grilled it up as shish-kabobs on the Weber, and served it up with slices of rosemary olive bread, with a dipping sauce of olive oil with fresh herbs from our garden. The rest of us made his favorite: strawberry whipped cream cake, made with some of Katie's home grown berries. I poured a flavorful, but not overly oaked, 2005 cabernet sauvignon from my favorite vintner (Goose Creek Winery, a.k.a. me) for Rick and myself. We used the good china, crystal, and flatware, and dined on the porch.

After dinner and dessert came presents (mostly stuff for camp and a bunch of books.) Around 10 o'clock Matthew announced that he finally remembered what it was he wanted for his birthday: an orange, 3 pronged, extention cord. I don't think he needs to wait 'til Christmas for that present.


Labels: , , ,


Comments:
ONLY your son would want a 3 pronged orange extension cord for his 16th b-day.... my 2questions are - WHY does he want it and how long of one does he want?

and what a proud mom you must be of katie getting the regents award!
 
He's working (and living) at the boy scout camp this summer and wants it for his tent. To plug in an air conditioner? Toaster? TV? Nacho cheese machine? Who knows....
 
Nice picnic! How cool that he made his birthday dinner himself. Congratulations Matthew!

I remember my son's first birthday. I thought to myself,"Last year on this date I went through hours of labor and gave birth to a baby. This year I am baking a cake...FOR THE BABY!" Go figure.

Hey, Shaw Girls, one and all: These posts seem lopsided. Not enough from certain sisters! I would like to challenge each of you to post news even once a month, say, on the anniversary of your birth. (So if you were born on the 23rd you would post something on or close to the 23rd, get it?) Call it your "Shaw Girl Day" or whatever. I realize not everyone of you is into blogs or reading them but you should try it and your senior sister has put a lot of time into creating this in an effort to keep you all IN each others' lives. No, she isn't putting me up to this. I suspect it might even tick her off that I am saying this... too bad. She'll get over it. This method of communication is so good and the archive is like a family scrapbook. It is a cool opportunity for all of you to share together. You can do this once a month, for your sisters, can't you? Try it for a period of time (three months? six months?) and THEN see what you think.

Okay, I'll pull my neck back in now. And, for those sisters who don't know me, I'm Sue's friend Patti, cofounder of the DKC, not the other Patti.

I'll wait while you ladies discuss it amongst yourselves.

Oh, and if Matthew isn't taking his nacho cheese machine to camp this summer could I borrow it now and then?
 
Hmmm....I have been thinking of renaming this "The Katie & Sibs Show."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?