Saturday, September 02, 2006

 

State Fair Adventures


We had a great time at the state fair this week, our last hurrah before school starts. We camped at Green Lakes State Park, a real gem. Beautiful lakes, camping, trails, and a championship golf course, too.



Notice the blue tent on the left. That's complements of Carrie and crew from Christmas. It wonderfully replaces my tent I used backpacking through Europe (which is pretty much a goner.)





Here's the reason why we went to the state fair this year: I won a silver medal for my 2005 Rougheon/Lambrusca blend! There were over 442 wines in competition, so I am thrilled to have placed. I entered 4 different bottles of wine, including this one, plus a 2005 Chardonnay, 2004 Merlot, and my estate-grown 2004 Blueberry. We had such a great time, it was decided that I should work hard on my wines so that we can go again next year!






Here I am at the awards presentation recieving my medal from the state fair wine chairman. They explained that they use professional wine judges and use the same scoring system that professional wines go through. He stressed that, although we are amateurs, this contest is not dumbed down; a silver winning wine in the home contest was the same quality as a professional silver winning wine.






These are the wines I put in the local county fair. The Chardonnay won Best-of-Show, but did not medal at the state. A very good year for my wines!

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Congratulations on a wildly successful vintage year! The post begs the question what did the 2005 Rougheon/Lambrusca blend do at the county fair?

I think these wines need another opinion, though. I'm on my way over.

I am also interested in the tent on the right which looks like something they used in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire when they camped at the Quiddich World Cup. What's the story on that one?

pattipurls
 
The tent on the right is a Coleman Cabin which we borrowed. It has two rooms created by a zippered wall in the middle. Perfect for Katie and Matthew.

The Rougheon was not in the county fair, because it wasn't ready. I bottled one bottle for the state fair. We are bottling the rest today, and I'll reserve one for the 2007 county fair. So, come on over!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?